If an injury has occurred due to an accident that was somebody else’s fault, one of the first things to do is hiring an attorney. However, there are many things to consider when looking to hire an attorney from a personal injury law firm in Queens County, NY. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Initial Consultations. Many people fear to call an attorney because they think it will be too costly. A good attorney will offer a free initial consultation to hear the details and decide if the case is worth pursuing.
2. Experience. Make sure that the lawyer who will take the case is experienced in the field of personal injury. Experience does not mean ambulance-chasing. Avoid lawyers who directly solicit a victim immediately after an accident occurs.
3. Lawyers don’t always mean lawsuits. Very often, a good lawyer from a personal injury law firm in Queens County, NY can contact the insurance company and file the necessary paperwork. This results in a faster settlement and the convenience of avoiding the courts altogether.
4. Fees and expenses are two separate things. Many lawyers will charge a percentage of your settlement after the case is resolved. Ask about fees upfront. If a lawyer needs to hire a third party to do some of the work for him, this will be billed as an expense. Ask about possible expenses beforehand to avoid any surprises.
5. Health insurance. If the case is won, it is entirely possible the victim’s health insurance carrier will need to be repaid if they covered any medical care. Talk to the lawyer about this to get the most from the settlement.
6. Time. Personal injury cases can take a long time to settle. A good lawyer will give a realistic time frame. If a lawyer promises fast cash or makes any kind of guarantee, avoid them at all costs. There are no guarantees in court cases.
Keep these things in mind if the need arises for a personal injury attorney. For more information or for a free initial consultation, call the Law Office of Steven R. Smith or visit the website at newyorkattorneyatlaw.com.
Be the first to like.