You know that hardwood flooring is beautiful, but did you know that it also has some real advantages over other forms of flooring? It’s true. Here are just a few ways that hardwood flooring does more than just look good.
- Hardwood flooring is sustainable. In America, the net growth of hardwood varieties outstrips the annual harvest.
- Hardwood is carbon neutral. It undergoes no manufacturing process, produces oxygen when it grows and stores carbon.
- Hardwood floors require less water and energy in production than any other type of flooring.
- Hardwood floors need less energy and water to clean once in place and are very low maintenance, taking very little effort to keep them looking good.
- Of all flooring options, hardwood floors do not need to be replaced with the frequency of laminate, vinyl, ceramic, or carpeting.
- Wood flooring can be recycled at the end of its lifetime, and since wood can last for hundreds of years a wood floor may last for several generations.
- Hardwood floors do not harbor allergens the way that carpet does and may be the best possible flooring for those who suffer from asthma or other respiratory ailments.
Ease of maintenance is one of the key selling points of hardwood floors. It’s advised to sweep or dust mop daily, vacuum weekly, and clean once a month with a wood flooring cleaner recommended by your installer. Every 3 to 5 years, you should have a maintenance coat of finish applied, and sand and refinish every 20 years. If that’s not low maintenance, then nothing is.
It’s important to choose an experienced hardwood installer when you are upgrading your flooring materials. Look for someone with experience in installing and maintaining hardwoods. Your floor will give you pleasure for years to come and also add value to your home at resale time.
Be the first to like.