There are few people more vulnerable than those confined to a nursing home. Many of the residents are elderly, without family to care for or protect them. They may be suffering from some form of dementia. When these people are neglected and abused, this is a great injustice. They deserve better.
The Causes of Nursing Home Abuse
Abuse and neglect of those in nursing homes are far more common that most people believe. The U.S. Department of Justice estimates that 11% of all of the seniors in this country are abused. This amounts to at least four million older people suffering some form of abuse each year.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Kankakee know that it can be difficult judge the quality of the care in a nursing home. While unsanitary conditions are always a red flag, a beautiful lobby does not always mean that the residents are well cared for. Some nursing homes are understaffed and have a high employee turnover, relying on poorly paid and untrained aides to provide most patient care. Indifferent management allows abuses to proliferate.
Common Nursing Home Injuries
* Falls in nursing homes account for about 1,800 deaths each year. There are about 200 reported falls per year in a typical 100-bed nursing home. However, falls are not always reported. Many residents have several falls during the year.
* Doctors and nurses may fail to recognize and treat common problems such as pneumonia, urinary tract infections, and bedsores. The wrong medications can be prescribed or given.
* Anyone who is confined to a bed or wheelchair can develop bedsores or pressure ulcers. Patients must be turned frequently to prevent excessive pressure on one spot.
* Many elderly people have tiny appetites, making it easy for them to become malnourished. Dehydration is often seen in nursing homes. It takes time and care to feed or coax an elderly person to eat or drink as they should. If these conditions are diagnosed, it may indicate neglect.
* Physical, sexual, and emotional abuse are some of the worst problems. Any of these abuses can leave a frail, elderly person too frightened to protect themselves.
If you believe that your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, contact Business Name. These experienced Personal Injury Lawyers in Kankakee offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Visit their website to look at more info and contact the firm.
Be the first to like.